Call for Mirroring Regions
Purpose of the call for proposals
This call has been organised to select three regional organisations from coal and carbon-intensive regions of Africa, America, and Asia to participate in the co-creation process of the Horizon 2020 project ENTRANCES in order to discuss the policy recommendations that the project will produce. The chosen organisations will be invited to participate in the following meetings:
- The first meeting of the project in Brussels (May 2021) and the last meeting of the project in Brussels as well (April 2023) (alternatively, online in the event of travel restrictions or other similar circumstances);
- The co-creation meetings that will take place in the pilot territories of the project (online if necessary).
These regional organisations will be committed to disseminating the project results among their network and internationally, as well as actively participating in the co-creation process of the outputs mentioned above.
ENTRANCES is the acronym of the project “ENergy TRANsitions from Coal and carbon: Effects on Societies” supported by the European Commission’s Horizon 2020 programme for research and innovation, especially under the topic Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH) aspects of the Clean-Energy Transition (LC-SC3-CC-1-2018-2019-2020). The project aims to research and analyse the challenges that carbon-intensive regions are facing according to a multi-contextual framework: 1) de-carbonisation policies; 2) the ongoing processes of de-territorialisation; 3) the territorial dimension of the clean energy transition. Over 36 months, the social impact of decarbonisation processes on 13 European regions will be monitored through six different approaches: socio-economic, socio-technical, socio-ecological, socio-cultural, socio-political, and socio-psychological. Hence, the lessons taught by these regions will serve to attain fairness and sustainable transitions in similar territories.
Form of the contract and work required
The chosen organisations will be part of the project ENTRANCES as “Peers Regional Organisations outside of Europe”, a group of three organisations that will serve as mirroring regions and, in consequence, will be invited to the first and the last meeting of the project in Brussels. All the travel and accommodation costs will be paid by the project.
Therefore, the organisations will commit themselves to:
- Travel and participate in the meeting organised in Brussels in May 2021 or, in case of limitations and travel restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic, to participate in the online meeting that will replace this physical meeting.
- Travel and participate in the meeting organised in Brussels in April 2023 or, in case of limitations and travel restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic, to participate in the online meeting that will replace this physical meeting.
- Follow the developments and results of the ENTRANCES project and to actively share and contribute with their own experiences, best practices, policies, and initiatives in the frame of their regional scope.
- Participate not only in the co-creation meetings mentioned in points 1 and 2 but also in those in which their participation will be required among the 13 co-creation meetings organised in the pilot territories.
Deadline for submitting the offers
25th of October 2020 at 23:59 CET to the e-mail ENTRANCES@eurada.org
Requisites of the organisation
- The organisation should have a regional working scope.
- The organisation should be dealing with issues related to the coal or carbon-intensive nature of the region.
- The organisation should have a practical approach to the matter.
- The organisation should play a relevant role in the decarbonisation process, or in the coal-mining and/or carbon-intensive activities.
The proposal to be submitted to EURADA requires the following documents:
- A formal declaration of applying for the Peer Regional organisations outside Europe (Annex I).
- CV and contact details of the person in the organisation responsible for the involvement with ENTRANCES.
Selection of offers
The offers will be selected according to the following criteria and scoring:
- Their belonging to a region characterised for the coal and/or carbon-intensive activities.
- How closely the organisation is dealing with issues and process that emanate from these activities (decarbonisation process, technical support for economic transition, unemployment derived from these transitions, etc.)
- The capacity of the organisation to propose a person, or a group of people, with remarkable expertise in the field. This is to say, capacity to communicate and to disseminate among other people the knowledge acquired during the co-creation meeting, and to transfer the experience and knowledge from the region to the co-creation meetings.
- Travel and accommodation costs for the ENTRANCES’ first conference, to be held in May 2021.
- Travel and accommodation costs for the ENTRANCES’ last conference, to be held in April 2023.
Property of the results
All the written and graphic material produced during this contract will be the property of the European Association of Development Agencies (EURADA) and will be able to be reused in the framework of the task within ENTRANCES project, for the communication of the project or for other policy learning purposes outside the scope of the project.
With written permission, the contractor will be allowed to use written material developed in the project providing a clear statement that it has been developed in the framework of the ENTRANCES project financed by the Horizon 2020 programme.