Eurada News nº399 – April 2020
The LIFE Call is Open and Ready for Your Proposals
The last stage of the funding period for 2014-2020 is opening for submissions now. This is a key moment to submit proposals on the given topics since it will serve as a bridge for the upcoming 2021-2027 period.
The LIFE programme is the EU’s funding instrument on environment and climate action and is organised by EASME. Its last call for proposals under the funding period of 2014-2020 opened on the 2nd of April. The total budget offers more than €450 million. The programme has been around for more than 20 years, and it is planned for it to continue funding projects, increasing its budget for each funding period. Its overall goal is to preserve nature and the environment.
Depending on the priorities of each funding period, the main blocks under the call may change. The two big blocks the LIFE call is now divided into are: environment, with the 75% of the budget; and climate action, with the remaining 25%. Both blocks include traditional projects, integrated projects, preparatory projects, and technical assistance projects, with co-funding of up to 60%.
Under the environment sub-programme, applicants will apply for funds for nature conservation and biodiversity, environment and resource efficiency, and environmental governance and information. This bigger sub-programme has a two-stage application. Firstly, it is required to submit a concept note of 10 pages (mid-July 2020). In case of approval (notification on October 2020), the next step is to submit the full project proposal based on the feedback received from the LIFE programme (on February 2021).
The traditional projects for the environment block will cover three different topics. Firstly, nature and biodiversity, in particular in the areas of biodiversity, habitats, and species. Secondly, it will cover environment and resource efficiency, especially for proposals on air, chemicals, green and circular economy, industrial accidents, marine and coastal management, noise, soil, waste, water, and the urban environment. Thirdly, it will encompass governance and information, in the areas of awareness raising, environmental training and capacity building, legislative compliance and enforcement, knowledge development and public and stakeholder participation.
Integrated projects support EU Member States to achieve the full implementation of Strategies or Action Plans under climate legislation. They are strategic and large-scale projects and they implement plans, strategies, and roadmaps in the areas of nature, water, waste, and air. They are complemented by technical assistance projects which provide action grants and financial support to applicants to prepare such proposals.
Preparatory projects under the environment sub-programme address specific needs for the development and implementation of EU environmental policy and law.
The climate action sub-programme has only one application stage. The deadlines for all project proposal submissions is the 6th of October 2020, except for the proposals on technical assistance, which the deadline is on the 16th of July 2020. This sub-programme supports projects in the areas of renewable energy, energy efficiency, farming, land use, and peatland management.
Under this block, the traditional projects focus on three topics; first of all, climate change mitigation, where the European Commission is particularly looking for technologies and solutions that are ready to be implemented in close-to-market conditions, at industrial or commercial scale. Next, there is focus on climate change adaptation, supporting projects in areas such as resilience to water scarcity, droughts, forest fires, floods, adaptive technologies for economic sectors, and safeguarding natural resources. Finally, this block concentrates on climate governance and information, funding projects on awareness raising, training and capacity building, law compliance and enforcement, knowledge development and stakeholder participation.
The integrated projects on the climate action sub-programme implement plans, strategies or roadmaps primarily in the areas of climate change mitigation and adaptation. The preparatory and technical assistance projects work in the same way as in the environment block.
The LIFE programme is a big and complex call bringing together things Europe needs to do to tackle climate change. This is the last stage of the newest financing period, looking for innovative ideas and solutions. Do not hesitate to submit your proposals for tackling your regional needs.
Following this link, you can find the official site for the LIFE programme.
You can find details on the different calls here.
Under this link you will find the technical assistance calls on the funding and tenders portal.
Written by Roser Torres, Project Officer at EURADA.